Meagher County Historical AssociationMeagher CountyHistorical Association

1867 - 1967

A Pictorial History

A century of Meagher County in photographs — mining camps and forts, ranches and railroads, and the people who built White Sulphur Springs.

These images are drawn from Meagher County: An Early-Day Pictorial History, 1867–1967, compiled by the Meagher County Historical Society for the county's centennial. Browse a selection of highlights below, or page through the entire volume.

Highlights

A dozen glimpses of the county's early days. Click any image to view it full-size.

Thomas Francis Meagher, the acting territorial governor for whom the county was named (1823–1867).
Diamond City in 1884 — the county's first seat of government and a booming gold-mining town.
Hydraulic mining by the Diamond Flume and Hydraulic Co., 1888.
Fort Logan and its parade ground, 1886.
Main Street, White Sulphur Springs, looking west, 1888.
Spencer and Company general merchandise store, established 1888.
The lobby of the old Springs Hotel.
The White Sulphur Springs City Band, 1902.
“Faithful Companions” — a frontiersman and his dog, photographed by Erickson of White Sulphur Springs.
Two Dot Hardware Co. — harness, saddles, and implements in the town of Two Dot.
The hay crew at the original Perry Moore ranch, 1905.
A team of elk at the Big Elk Ranch, famous for its water rodeo in the 1920s–30s.

Browse the Book

All 111 pages of the 1968 centennial volume. Click any page to read it full-size.

From Meagher County: An Early-Day Pictorial History, 1867–1967 (Meagher County Historical Society, 1968). Used with permission.